How to create a website with Google Sites.
Faculty Web Design with Google Sites
This document is to assist faculty and staff in using Google Sites to update faculty and staff web pages. The basics will be included in the document, if additional assistance is required please contact Eagle help desk.
The following assumptions have been made for the development of this document:
• You have Internet access
• You have an UWL NetID
1. Plan your website and goals
2. Login to Google Sites
3. Create a new site based on a template
4. Design Resources
5. Review the site and share the link
To begin with, have an idea in mind of what you wish to achieve or communicate with your website. Defining your goals early will help you with the structure of the site and make it easier to update templates. We provide templates as a starting point for you to use but your site is open to allow flexibility in how you wish to design it.
Login to Google Sites
To begin with, open a web browser and navigate to
https://sites.google.com/a/uwlax.edu. If you are not logged in then you will be requested to log in using your UWL Gmail address and password. Testing indicates that you can log in with different browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Internet Explorer (current versions) to access and work on your google website.
Creating a New Site Based on a Template
You will land on a web page that has the UWL letters in the top left with the word Sites below. Under the Word Sites you will see the CREATE button in red. Once you create a site you will be able to browse the sites you have created or review sites that you have deleted.
1. Select “Browse the Gallery for More” and in the listing of available templates. Three templates have been created for a starting point for you to use: UWL Grey Template 1, UWL Grey Template2 and UWL Maroon Template 1. Each of the templates is a variation of the UWL color scheme.
2. Select The name for your website. Here we would ask that you use your UWL user name as your site name. The advantage of using your user ID is that it will be unique to you.
3. If the website name has not been used previously your new website address should be defined in the site location https://sites.google.uwlax.edu/”your userID”.
4. Once the site template and website address have been chosen select the red CREATE button at the top of the page
• A beginning resource for working with Google sites https://support.google.com/sites/?hl=en#topic=1689606
• Video Tutorial series (1 of 5) on the basics of setting up and using Google Sites. (as of 3/19/2014)